HOME

History

St. Mary's in Mitchell was established in 1875, under Robert Clarkson, Bishop of the Dakota Territory and was the first church by 8 years in Davison County.

The original building was the first framed two story house located in Firesteel (org. Mitchell). It served as the church, for town meetings, funerals, weddings and court.

A bureau there served as the altar, Judge's bench, Post Office and bar for weddings. The bureau is still used as an altar in the chapel.

The present church which was built in 1912, is of an English Gothic-style. Architect Fred Beach of Sioux City under the supervision of Ralph Adam Cram, Architect of St John the Divine in New York City.

Today this building represents over 125 years of dedicated service of hundreds of men, women and children who unselfishly gave of their time and talent to spread the love and Good news of Jesus Christ in this community.

St. Mary's Episcopal Church
214 West 3rd Ave Mitchell, SD 57301 Phone: 605-996-3025

stmarysrector@mitchelltelecom.net